Over the past twenty-five years, beginning with my degree at Southern Cross University in Lismore, my passion for Eco/Cultural Studies has been developed and my writers lens formed. My writing takes a critical view of social, political and cultural issues. Often referencing current movements that resists the way power is structured in favour of normalising corporate ideology.
Connecting the rights of people to the rights the ecological space is a complex issue, for this my writing takes the form of a dramatic screenplays which are driven by the characters. The treatment for a film Running Dry and a screenplay in development, Burning Rivers both deal with ecological and social justice which are intrinsically connected.
As an educator, albeit not in the traditional sense, I have a special interest in dyslexia and students with differing learning abilities. Through my work with youth who, for differing reasons are no longer at school, I facilitated the process of navigating an understanding of self in context to cultural norms assisting students to develop their own narrative of belonging and identity.
- Honours (1st) Creative Writing Griffith University
- BA Cultural Studies Southern Cross University
- Mike Leigh Process - Improvisation Workshop with Robert Marchand
- Observational Documentary AFTRS
- Music & Documentary AFTRS
- Film Production AFTRS/METRO
- Qwiller Publishing: HSC English Study: Discovery, Research and Writing